Real Estate Investor Package
$475.00 on the 1st of each month
This is a subscription package for real estate investors. Please see below for more information.
First payment prorated. Next payment: October 1, 2018
Working with real estate investors is a large part of our practice. In addition to being a real estate attorney, Rick is a licensed real estate broker in Kansas and has personal hands-on experience with rentals, fix and flip properties, hazard insurance claims, and many other aspects of real estate investment. We want to be a regular part of your team, and therefore, we have created a monthly subscription service for real estate investors that allow investors to have an attorney to call without worrying about an unpredictable bill at the end of the month or payment of a large retainer.
When you sign up for our investor package, you will be provided with a link that you can use to schedule office meetings and phone consultations to discuss the legal issues you are encountering. Times for phone consultations are available every day and office consultations are available several days per week. If times are not available for a phone consultation within 1-business day or office consultation within 3-business days, we ask that you reach out to our office and we will work to find a time in the schedule to discuss your situation. If we can not find a time within that time frame, we will provide you with a credit of one-month’s legal services as a demonstration of our commitment to being available for our clients.
Your subscription includes unlimited phone calls and advice on legal issues related to your real estate business. By having an attorney “on-call” to answer your questions as they arise, you can lower your risk of litigation and ensure that your business is in full compliance of the law. In addition to being “on-call” for your questions, our guidance to real estate investors package also includes the review any contracts related to your business and the drafting of simple (two-page or less) demand letters to contractors, tenants, borrowers, or other parties with whom you may have a dispute.
If litigation does arise, you will receive a discount on legal services and/or the ability to have your legal matter handled for a contingency or success fee instead of an hourly rate. You will also receive discounted quiet title actions for when there are title issues with one of your properties, whether it was purchased through a tax sale or otherwise.
Unlike other legal subscription services, there are no limits or caps to the legal services performed and most clients will be covered by our standard pricing. With that being said, the relationship continues on a month-to-month basis. As such, if there is a need to increase pricing due to the high demands related to your business, we shall continue to provide services through the end of the month at the existing rates and will provide a minimum of five (5) days notice prior to any rate increases, which will we will discuss and agree upon collectively.
Please note that monthly payments are paid for the previous month’s services, and therefore, your card will be charged for prorated services on the 1st day of the month following the discontinuation of services. Moreover, as payments are made for work performed in the previous month, all payments are non-refundable.
- Advice and Guidance. We will provide unlimited advice and guidance on any legal questions related to any matters we are handling, your business or association, or other general legal questions.*
- Dedicated Phone Number. You will be provided with a non-published priority phone number that rings on Rick’s office and cell phones simultaneously.
- One (1) Business Day Response Guarantee. You will receive a response to your emails or voice messages within 1 business day or else you will receive a month free on your subscription service. Business days are Monday-Friday, excluding federal holidays. If your matter is such that it requires more than one (1) day to provide a proper response, we shall replay and advise accordingly within one (1) business day. In order to ensure your email is not missed, we ask that you please email from the email address you provided when you signed up as this email will be automatically marked as a priority in the email inbox.
- No Surprises. As we are charging a set monthly fee, you will not be surprised by the bill you receive at the end of the month and you can easily estimate the costs of continued litigation when evaluating settlement offers.
- Open Communication. Throughout the course of the litigation, we will provide you with regular updates on the events or documents filed in the case. Additionally, because you are not paying by the hour, you can feel free to ask questions without worrying about a large bill at the end of the month.
- Once we have confirmed there are no conflicts of interest and accepted this matter, the information you share and everything you discuss while working together is protected by attorney-client privilege.
- Honest and Practical Advice. We will promptly communicate all settlement offers with you and provide advice based on the risks of proceeding with the litigation even if it means lower legal fees to our firm. If you have questions regarding your matter, we will provide you with practical and straight-forward answers regarding the same.
- Simple Demand Letters. We will draft a simple (no more than two pages) demand letter on your behalf to contractors or other parties with whom you may have a legal dispute. We will also draft a simple (no more than two pages) response to a demand letter that you have received from another party, such as a buyer on a “fix-and-flip” project or a difficult tenant.
- Review of Legal Documents. We will review your contracts and other legal documents and provide track-changes comments on the same.
- Contingency Fee Only Litigation. As a retainer client, we will handle any necessary litigation on your behalf on a contingency-fee basis. In other words, if you are the plaintiff in the action, we shall retainer a percentage of any amounts recovered on your behalf. If you are the defendant, you shall be responsible for paying a percentage of the difference between the amount claimed and the amount you eventually pay either through either settlement or a judgment. The percentage paid will be determined on a case-by-case basis depending on the amounts claimed and the circumstances of the litigation. If you would prefer not to proceed on a contingency fee basis, you will also have the option of paying an additional retainer of $520 per month for the litigation, which is a twenty-percent (20%) discount from our standard litigation rates. Under either scenario, you will be responsible for paying all courts of your action, which includes but is not limited to, court fees, service fees, mediation fees, transcript fees, deposition fees, and the fees for expert witnesses.
- Discounted Quiet Title Actions. We will perform quiet title actions on your behalf for a discounted rate of $1,560 per quiet title action, which is a discount of 20% off of our standard rates for these services.
*Advice and guidance is limited to answers related to the current legal matter we are handling or other issues that can be answered based on personal experience and knowledge or with less than ten (10) minutes of legal research. If more than ten (10) minutes of legal research is required, you shall be notified in advance of the additional legal fees that may apply.
What's Not Included
- Legal Research. Most questions can be answered based on the attorney’s experience and knowledge or through a quick confirmation of the relevant law. If you ask a question that requires more than ten-minutes of research, the time spent researching the issue is not included in the monthly retainer.
- After Hours Phone Calls. All calls that are placed within our office hours are included in your monthly retainer payment. If you call your dedicated number outside of office hours, you will be provided the option to leave a message to be reviewed during office hours or be connected to the attorney. If you leave a message, no additional fees will apply. If you choose to be connected to the attorney, an after-hours fee of $50 shall apply. After hours meetings shall be charged at the rate of $250/hour with a minimum of one hour.
- Additional Services. Your monthly retainer covers the services set forth on the “What’s Included” sections for this service and any service not listed in those sections may require additional legal fees. If you have specific questions of what may or may not be included, please feel free to contact our office with any questions.
- Costs paid to Third Parties. You shall be responsible for paying all costs related to the handling of your matter, including but not limited to, court fees, services fees, deposition fees, transcript fees, mediation fees, and/or fees for expert witnesses. If we are retained to handle a litigation matter, we shall require a cost retainer of $1,000 to be paid prior to the initiation of litigation and which shall be replenished on a monthly basis based on the expenses incurred in the previous month. All costs are billed to you at exactly the cost paid to the third party providing the service without any mark-up, service charges, etc.
- Non-Standard Legal Services. When retained for litigation, our monthly retainer includes the anticipated legal services needed to resolve the matter, including conducting depositions for all parties, up to one (1) day of trial, and mediation that does not exceed four (4) hours. If depositions of additional parties are required, the trial exceeds one (1) day, or the mediation exceeds four (4) hours, additional legal fees shall be due in the amount of $250 per hour, billed to the nearest tenth (.1) of an hour.
Thank you for your interest in working with our firm. For your reference, we have created this guide to explain to new and prospective clients how to get started working with our firm. Please be advised that the new client process will vary slightly depending on the type of matter. Therefore, please be sure to review the “Getting Started” tab for the specific services you are contemplating.
- Online Signup. Once you have determined that you would like to engage our services, you can sign up using the “add to cart” feature on our webpage. When you complete the online order process, you will be provided with a copy of our terms and conditions that outline the basic terms of the representation, including our billing and communication policies. You can review these policies at any time at www.rickdavislegal.com/legal-services- terms-of-service/.
- Payment. After you have submitted your order, you will be provided with a link you can utilize to submit payment with a debit/credit card. If you would prefer, you can also mail or drop off a check at our office located at 8826 Santa Fe Dr, Ste 100, Overland Park, Kansas 66212. Whichever method you select, please be advised that no work will be performed on your matter until we have received payment.
- Intake Form. Once we have confirmed receipt of your payment and confirmed we do not have any conflicts of interest (if not previously completed), you will receive an email that contains a link to our online intake form that you can use to submit information to us about your matter and upload any relevant documents. The online intake form helps to ensure that we have all of the information needed to fully assist you with your matter. Moreover, by using an online form, we are able to avoid additional costs associated with having a lengthy conversation with the attorney to gather this information. With that being said, if you are uncomfortable with the online intake form, you are welcome to call our office to discuss the information necessary for your matter.
- Schedule Post Review Phone Call. In the same email containing the intake form, you will receive a link to schedule your post review phone call. This phone call will be used to answer any questions related to the document that you might have. Please be advised that your intake form and the document to be reviewed must be submitted at least 48 hours prior to the introductory phone call and the appointment may be canceled if we have not received your intake form by this deadline.
- Attorney Review. Prior to the post review phone call, the attorney will review the document and takes notes on any relevant provisions. If a detailed document review was ordered, the written comments will be provided within one (1) business day following the post review phone call.
It is our hope that outlining the process helps to make the establishment of a relationship with our firm easier. It also helps to streamline our internal processes to ensure that we devote our time to providing the highest level legal services to our clients. If you have any questions about this process, please feel free to contact our office at (913) 283-8300.